Sheep Genetics is the genetic evaluation service for the Australian sheep and goat industries. Using information provided by members, Sheep Genetics calculate Australian Sheep Breeding Values (ASBVs) that predict the genetic merit of individual animals.
This module provides a brief overview of the requirements and processes involved in getting started with Sheep Genetics. Using the information in this module, you can gain an understanding of key requirements of the genetic evaluation. You can then use this learning to collect trait data of interest relevant to your breeding objective. This will ensure comprehensive data submissions to contribute to your ASBVs.
At completion of this module, you will:
- understand the requirements and processes of a data collection and submission to Sheep Genetics
- understand the advantages and disadvantages of the various methods of pedigree collection
- understand how ASBVs are calculated, and key pieces of information needed for the calculation of ASBVs
- understand the importance of management groups and linkage for genetic evaluation
- create a breeding objective to target future genetic gain.
Throughout this eLearning module, resources that can be found on the Sheep Genetics website will be frequently referred to. A comprehensive list of links to any mentioned resource will be available upon completion of the module.