Vaccines are an important part of a flock health plan.
When used correctly as part of a property health plan, vaccines can help prevent common livestock diseases, leading to improved animal health, welfare and productivity. Producers should be aware of the diseases in their region that can be prevented by vaccination and assess the risk based on previous local district and property history.
This module outlines the different types of vaccines, how to store and handle vaccines, why you should consider vaccinating, common sheep diseases and the vaccines currently available for sheep in Australia.
Additional resources and further reading are available in the Materials tab.
At completion of this module, you will:
- understand the different types of vaccines
- know how to handle and store vaccines
- understand the factors influencing the decision to vaccinate your flock
- have an understanding of the common diseases in sheep
- be able to identify the vaccines currently available for sheep.
Kelly Graham and Sally Oswin (Zoetis), and Jane Morrison (Coopers Animal Health) provided useful comments, and some of their suggestions have been incorporated to improve this eLearning module.