Vaccines are an important part of a herd health plan.
When used correctly as part of a property health plan, vaccines can help prevent common endemic livestock diseases, leading to improved animal health, welfare and productivity. Northern beef producers should be aware of the endemic diseases in their region that can be prevented by vaccination.
This module outlines the types of vaccines, how to store and handle vaccines, why and when you should consider vaccinating, common diseases in northern cattle and the vaccines currently available for cattle in Australia.
At completion of this module, you will:
- understand the different types of vaccines
- know how to handle and store vaccines
- understand the factors influencing the decision to vaccinate your herd
- have an understanding of the common diseases in northern cattle
- be able to identify the vaccines currently available for beef cattle.