Create a conversational tone
The most successful presentations involve the audience, with room for comments and questions.
To create a conversational atmosphere:
- Share eye contact so that everyone feels included.
- Ask questions of the audience and listen to the answer.
- Ask a follow-up question to demonstrate genuine interest rather than just polite questioning.
- Answer questions clearly if you can. If you can’t, don’t panic. Admit when you don’t know, open it for others to answer and/or promise to get the answer and provide it after the presentation.
- If you get negative pushback, acknowledge it and respond with respect. Open the issue to supporters in the group and get a sense of how widely the view is shared. If it is a critical part of your presentation, ask how the issue might be resolved.
- Smile and look confident.